United Way of the Southern Tier awards $200,000 to 11 programs supporting senior citizens
May 17, 2023:
United Way of the Southern Tier today awarded 11 grants to local agencies to ensure senior citizens in Chemung and Steuben counties live thriving and healthy lives.
“United Way of the Southern Tier is honored to provide $200,000 in Senior Supports Fund grants for projects that will make life better for local seniors,” said United Way of the Southern Tier President and CEO Stephen M. Hughes.
These grants were awarded as the second year of a six-year commitment to invest $1 million toward building capacity and strengthening programming for seniors in Chemung and Steuben counties. Awards from the fund, to date, total $357,000.
The organizations and grant awards in 2023 are:
* Arbor Housing and Development: $35,000 for home repairs for the elderly
* Bampa’s House: $6,000 for volunteer recruitment and retention
* Community Arts of Elmira: $21,798 to install a permanent handicap accessible ramp
* Corning Meals on Wheels: $13,739 to purchase coolers and a sink dish table
* Faith in Action: $14,300 to expand volunteer caregiving to Chemung County
* Family Services of Chemung County: $1,623 to purchase aid certification and CPR training equipment
* Home & Health Care Services: $15,000 toward the purchase of a vehicle
* Meals on Wheels of Chemung County: $12,777 to purchase an oven and misc. kitchen equipment
* Pro Action Meals on Wheels: $9,978 to purchase a commercial pass-through cooler
* The Senior Center/Chemung County Family Fitness Center: $33,410 to purchase exercise equipment
* Steuben Senior Services Fund: $36,375 to enroll 6 additional seniors in Full Circle America
The Senior Supports Fund was created through an anonymous bequest to United Way of the Southern Tier to further assist the senior population who wish to age in place where they are comfortable and happy, fostering both independence and enhanced social connections within their community.
Grants are awarded in addition to annual allocations made by United Way of the Southern Tier through donations to the Community Campaign.
Grant applications to the Fund will be accepted again in Spring 2024. Contact United Way of the Southern Tier at 607-377-5833 for more information.
For more information, please contact United Way of the Southern Tier Communications Director Lois Wilson by email or at 607-377-5834.