COVID RELIEF FOR INDIA
India is struggling to contain a devastating second wave of COVID-19. It’s running out of hospital beds, oxygen and basic medical equipment as new cases rise to record levels daily. It’s a national crisis with global repercussions.
United Way is supporting health care workers with essentials, and providing food, shelter, hygiene kits and more to people in need. Your donation will support those most in need in all these areas.
95% of your donation will provide direct relief to the most vulnerable in India. Response efforts are led locally by United Ways in Baroda, Mumbai, Delhi, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Chennai, Kolkata and the remainder of India is supported by India’s national United Way, United Way India.
- Review a list of New York State-operated vaccination locations. Click here
- Review a list of all vaccine providers (private pharmacies) in the Southern Tier. Click here
- Learn how you can volunteer at a vaccination clinic. Click here
- Have general questions about the vaccine? Check out these FAQs. Click here
Chemung County COVID-19 Hotline: 607-873-1813
Steuben County COVID-19 Information: Call 2-1-1 or 1-800-346-2211, or text "COVID" to 898-211.
Steuben County Public Health COVID-19 Vaccine Information FAQs: Click here
VACCINE IS FREE
To help report vaccination fraud or scams across the State, New York established a hotline that New Yorkers can call to report fraudulent vaccinations. It is a red flag if anyone is promising you the vaccine in exchange for payment. To report suspected vaccine fraud, call 1-833-VAX-SCAM (1-833-829-7226) or email STOPVAXFRAUD@health.ny.gov.
THANK THE FRONTLINE
Nurses. Doctors. Grocery store employees. Delivery drivers. Warehouse workers. First responders. Truck drivers. Cleaners. There are so many people who are on the frontlines of the COVID-19 outbreak. They continue to help keep our community safe and the world running. To honor and celebrate their ongoing sacrifice, let’s say thank you!
8 Ways to Say Thank You
United Way of the Southern Tier is committed to helping our community through COVID-19, supporting nonprofits in Chemung and Steuben counties with the greatest capacity to serve our most vulnerable populations — specifically senior citizens, children, and struggling families.
Again this year, up to $300 of your donation may be tax deductible, even if you don’t usually itemize. The charitable deduction allows most Americans to deduct donations to charities from their taxes when filing for 2020 and 2021. Please, donate to United Way today and support your community. Thank you.
Volunteer, if you are healthy. Review this up-to-date list of local volunteer needs and blood drives or visit the Get Connected volunteer site.
Direct People to Call 2-1-1
Direct people to call 2-1-1 if they need information about available services. Expert 211 specialists provide real-time information on social services and other resources to those in need. If you know someone who is struggling, or just looking for a source of reliable information, tell them to call 2-1-1 or 1-800-346-2211 or visit their website.
Call Friends and Family
Loneliness is as damaging as smoking 15 cigarettes a day. Even during isolation, modern technology allows us to stay connected. Checking in on friends and family is more than polite right now, it’s essential. And don’t forget elderly neighbors or others living alone.
Take Care of Your Mental Health
If you’re stuck at home, keep busy with hobbies, try out arts and crafts, pick up an old musical instrument, organize family game nights, and step outside for fresh air and exercise. You can’t take care of others unless you take care of yourself.
• Family Service Society in Corning is offering free short-term counseling by phone. Just call 607-962-3148.
• Family Services of Chemung County is offering free, short-term counseling by phone and by internet. Call to schedule an appointment: 607-733-5696.
• Regional substance abuse resources: Substance Abuse Regional Alliance, SARA Partners.
• Regional suicide prevention resources: Walk A Mile in My Shoes.
• Chemung County Network of Care offers resources, links, articles, fact sheets and reports on behavioral health.
New York State Resources
• Call the New York State Parent Helpline at 1-800-CHILDREN (244-5373) to be connected with local services.
• New York State Emotional Support: 1-844-863-9314
• New York State Department of Health: 1-888-364-3065
• Headspace: New York State has partnered with Headspace to offer New Yorkers much-needed free meditation and mindfulness content as a mental health resource. Check it out.
Help for Anyone Facing Domestic Violence
Please call and talk with someone if you are experiencing domestic violence, sexual violence or assault. Call 911 for an emergency.
• New York State Domestic Violence: 1-800-942-6906
• Chemung County Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-607-732-1979
• Schuyler County Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-607-742-9629
• Steuben County Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-286-3407
• Yates County Sexual & Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-247-7273
• Sexual Violence/Assault Hotline: 1-888-810-0093
United Way of the Southern Tier provides grants to eight programs offering supervised distance learning spaces for school-age children in Chemung and Steuben counties. Read more
United Way of the Southern Tier’s awards emergency grants to local programs serving our most vulnerable populations during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read more