United Way of the Southern Tier is committed to helping our community through COVID-19. The United Way of the Southern Tier COVID-19 Fund is focused on supporting nonprofit agencies in Chemung and Steuben counties with the greatest capacity to serve our most vulnerable populations — specifically senior citizens, children, and struggling families.
Direct People to Call 2-1-1
Direct people to call 2-1-1 if they need information about available services. Expert 211 specialists provide real-time information on social services and other resources to those in need. If you know someone who is struggling, or just looking for a source of reliable information, tell them to call 2-1-1 or 1-800-34-2211 or visit their website.
Volunteer, if you are healthy. Review this up-to-date list of local volunteer needs and blood drives or visit the our Get Connected volunteer site.
Call Your Friends and Family
Loneliness is as damaging as smoking 15 cigarettes a day. Even during isolation, modern technology allows us to stay connected. Checking in on friends and family is more than polite right now, it’s essential. And don’t forget elderly neighbors or others living alone.
Take Care of Your Mental Health
If you’re stuck at home, keep busy with hobbies, try out arts and crafts, pick up an old musical instrument, organize family game nights, and step outside for fresh air and exercise. You can’t take care of others unless you take care of yourself.
• Family Service Society in Corning is offering free short-term counseling by phone. Just call 607-962-3148.
• Family Services of Chemung County is offering free, short-term counseling by phone and by internet. Call to schedule an appointment: 607-733-5696.
• Regional substance abuse resources: Substance Abuse Regional Alliance, SARA Partners.
• Regional suicide prevention resources: Walk A Mile in My Shoes.
• Chemung County Network of Care offers resources, links, articles, fact sheets and reports on behavioral health.
New York State Resources
• Call the New York State Parent Helpline at 1-800-CHILDREN (244-5373) to be connected with local services.
• New York State Emotional Support: 1-844-863-9314
• New York State Department of Health: 1-888-364-3065
• Headspace: New York State has partnered with Headspace to offer New Yorkers much-needed free meditation and mindfulness content as a mental health resource. Check it out.
Help for Anyone Facing Domestic Violence
Please call and talk with someone if you are experiencing domestic violence, sexual violence or assault. Call 911 for an emergency.
• New York State Domestic Violence: 1-800-942-6906
• Chemung County Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-607-732-1979
• Schuyler County Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-607-742-9629
• Steuben County Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-286-3407
• Yates County Sexual & Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-247-7273
• Sexual Violence/Assault Hotline: 1-888-810-0093